May 17, 2016
We specifically built this unit to meet or exceed NFPA 1906 and comply the SAE J1194 standard. Some of the remarks we heard at FDIC were “Man, you guys killed it!!”, “Wow, you guy knocked it out of the park” and some were so enthusiastic…I am unable to repeat their remarks!
When we sat down to design the WROPS, our goals were simple. We wanted to design a system that didn’t look like any system currently on the market. CHECK – we succeeded. We wanted to design something that was ergonomically usable and functional. CHECK – we succeeded. We wanted it to be EXTREME DUTY TOUGH. CHECK – we succeeded. We wanted to build something that was functional, you can fight fire while seated and belted WHICH IS WHAT NFPA 1906 STATES THAT YOU MUST BE, but you can stand and fight fire while on the move if you choose too. CHECK – we succeeded. We also wanted something that didn’t look like a Jungle GYM, and I think it is fair to say…CHECK – we succeeded.
NFPA 1906 section 14.4.1 says: “If an on board pump and roll firefighting position is provided, it shall include the following:
(1) A seat with an approved type 1 seat belt for each firefighting position
We provide to flip seats with (2) type 1 seat belts
(2) Controls required by the operator within reach without removing the seat belt
We provide one (1) set of start/stop and throttle controls, backlit pressure gauge, and two (2) whiplines with valves in the walkway area. A second throttle control feature is optional.
(3) A means of communicating with the driver
We provide a sliding rear window or wireless communications
(4) Safety sign which warns of riding safety procedures and the maximum speed of 10 MPH visible from the riding position
(5) Safety sign which warns of driving safety procedures and the maximum speed of 10 MPH visible from the driver position or visible while entering the cab.
NFPA 1906 section 188.8.131.52 also states: A protective structure shall be provided in compliance with the side impact and crush criteria of SAE J1194 – Rollover Protective Structures (ROPS) for Wheeled Agriculture Tractors.
WEIS FIRE WAS THE ONLY APPARATUS MANUFACTURER AT FDIC TO DISPLAY A NFPA 1906 COMPLIANT APPARATUS WITH A RIDING POSITION OUTSIDE THE CAB. PERIOD. NO IFS, NO ANDS, AND NO BUTS.